San Rafael Clean Programs
Check out our Activities!
San Rafael Clean (SRC) is a small but energetic group that attacks the problem of litter in our city using a variety of strategies. SRC coalition members bring diverse resources and skills to this challenge. We need your ideas and talents, too! Please learn more about our projects below, and join us at any of our monthly meetings. Contact us to find out more.
- SRC leads cleanups at litter hotspots around the city as part of national days of service, Earth Day in April and California Coastal Cleanup Day in September.
- SRC acts as a resource for, and helps promote the efforts of, community leaders wanting to mobilize neighbors to keep an area of the city clean.
- SRC has collaborated with the Canal Alliance on cleanup and awareness projects in the Canal neighborhood, an area that faces significant litter and dumping problems.
- Individual SRC members lead cleanup efforts in areas near the freeway where litter collects through the CalTrans “Adopt-a-Spot” program.
- SRC invites residents to take our Individual Litter Pledge and help clean up at any opportunity. Keep a trash bag handy in your purse or pack and before you know it, you’ll have a new “clean” habit!
Cigarette Litter Campaign
SRC raises awareness about the pervasive cigarette litter problem through education and outreach efforts.
- In 2011, the group distributed 20,000 educational coasters featuring SRC mascot Oscar the Bulldog to local bars and restaurants.
- SRC conducts outreach at events like the Bay Area Trash Summit, Kick Butt Day in the Plaza, and the Farmer’s Market.
- Freeway banners alert drivers to the hazards of tossed butts, such as fires, and SRC ads in local papers educate readers about the problem.
- SRC makes it easy for smokers to dispose of butts responsibly by providing street receptacles and pocket ashtrays.